Monday, May 13, 2013

Sedalia - Heber Hunt

It was not planned that I would go live in Sedalia.  Yet it seems that one persons misfortune turnss sometimes in to an others fortune.

I was waiting around for my military orders to come through that would undoubtedly send me eventually to Viet Nam.  I had resigned myself to that venture.  My wife at the time was teaching art at Smith Cotton and she came home one evening and said she had heard there was a job opening at Heber Hunt elementary school. 

My student teaching had taken place under Larry Whiteside at Smith Cotton so I was a know quantity in the district and they only wanted someone to fill out the year due to an illness of a 6th and 7th grade teacher. 

I applied for the job, the principal "Bud" Thomas hired me and I started teaching.  I am not sure how much I really taught anyone but I remember the classes seemed to have about as much fun as I did and I met some very nice and interesting people that I would eventually weave into the fabric of my books and short stories.

As luck would have it I received a letter from the army saying that they had more officers than they needed and that my full time service was no longer required. 

I signed a contract for the next year and was very excited that the school district was going to build a new junior high school.  Perhaps I could get a job there I thought after it is built.

No comments:

Post a Comment