Monday, October 24, 2011

May 3, 1954

May 3, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Sat night our party went off very good.  Had free east's and drinks.  A band came in and played and brought 30 girls.  The party cost $180. It came out of Co. funds.  Sunday I just fooled around and rested up after guard that we had Fri and Sat night.  Sunday my boots came.  I sure like them.  I thought they would be to small at first.  The length is OK and after I wore them for a few minutes they felt good.  So they are OK.  I have been polishing them.  I wish I had some mahogany dye to put on them.  Guess I will get some in time.  Did you say you got some.  You never did say anything about sending it.  I got the polish OK. 

Not much new here.  Our outfit is almost sure to leave this summer, around July or Aug.  Sure hope I can go with them.  Wont know till time to go.

Today I had a detail putting horseshoe pits in.  That is about it for today.  Tomorrow we go on guard again.  You asked me about my trip to Pusan. 3 day pass.  I told you about that in another letter.  So wont say anymore about it.  Yes that was Arkie in the picture.  He is 225lbs.  Last time you say him he was 187, so he looks different.  Remember the horse shoe you had while in the army.  I still have it.  Think it has brought me good luck since I have been in the army.  I wouldn't take anything for it.  I keep it with my personal things in my footlocker. (note: apparently when my grandfather was in the Calvary one of the things he took with him when discharged was a horse shoe.  He gave it to Dad and he carried it with him the entire time he was in service.  This is the first I have heard about this.)

I sure have been doing a lot of different kinds of stuff.  Painting, building, etc.  What I learned at home sure helped a lot. 

They fired our house girl and now we have another one.  They make $16 a month.  We all put in and it only cost be about 66 cents a month for cleaning, ironing and washing.  Not bad is it.  I have been getting you mail regular now.  Had a letter tonight April 27.  Haven't had any packages since the ones on Easter.  Don't know for sure whether you sent any since then or not.  Got the big box you asked about.  Shaving lotion was OK (note: remember it is really whiskey.)

I am going to send my jump boots back home, the zipper ones.  We can't ware zipper now and they need soles and heals and sewing anyway.  I will keep them till I get home.  Don't bother to fix them now.  I'll be glad to get the picture you said you are sending.  I have more to send you that I haven't had. 

Our show opens tomorrow night.  The old man said I couldn't sell tickets in the theater because of guard.  So I wont be making any extra money.  I saw two shows lately, "Torch Song" and "Appointment in Honduras."  Hope to see some good ones here.

Sounds like you are having some nice weather back in KC.  We are having some good weather here.  A little cool at night because we are right on the ocean.  Tries to rain some every day.  Glad you are saving up on the beer.  Can't wait.  You are really fixing up the house arn't you.  Bet it looks nice when you are finished. 

Well don't have much to say so will close now.  Sure like my boots.  Whish you could seen them.  I will mail them home before I rotate.  Will write again later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment